Science & Technology
The Science and Technology Teaching and Learning Area aims to develop student’s understanding and views of the world around us.
The understanding of scientific thinking is fundamental to making decisions in society that affect us all. This enables students to broaden their minds to make informed decisions about all aspects of the world in which we live. This is further seen through the study of design and technology, which enhances student understanding of how technology influences our everyday lives and encourages students to develop their vision of the world around us.
Through the study of the subjects with the sciences and technologies, students develop fundamental skills such as:
- Problem solving abilities
- Coherently presenting and communicating ideas through speech, writing and drawing
- Applying knowledge to explain both natural phenomena and the and artificial world around us
- An ability to analyse data and / or designs and draw substantiated conclusions
- Evaluating tasks
- Predicting expected outcomes
- Thinking independent
- Developing a wide range of practical skills
They also pave the way to a vast array of careers and job opportunities that require either pure scientific or design knowledge, or an application of the skills and understanding gained through the study of the subjects.