The Christian Values of St Mary’s CE High School that contribute to our ethos and underpin all aspects of our work, and agreed with our students, staff and governors are:
1. Trust – firm belief in the reliability, truth, or ability of someone and GOD. Bible verse: “Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.” John 14:1
2. Forgiveness – stop feeling angry or resentful towards (someone) for doing wrong or making a mistake. Bible verse: “forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us”. Matthew 6:14.
3. Compassion – Caring for others who may be experiencing difficult times. Bible verse: “Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” Ephesians 4:32 / “treat others as you would like to be treated” Matthew 7:12
4. Thankfulness – feeling or expressing gratitude towards others and GOD. Bible verse: “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
5. Friendship – A relationship with someone you enjoy spending time with and who you can depend on in times of trouble. Bible verse : “A friend loves at all times” Proverbs 17:17
6. Love / Agape – loving GOD and a selfless love for fellow human beings. Treat others as you would like to be treated. Bible verse: “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. As I have loved you, you should also love one another” John 13:34
7. Peace – a state of mutual harmony between people or groups. Bible verse: “the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” Philippians 4:7
8. Endurance – the ability to endure an unpleasant or difficult process or situation without giving way. Bible verse: “we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope”. Romans 5:3-4.
9. Service – the action of helping or doing work for someone. Bible verse: “serve one another humbly in love” Galatians 3:5 / “Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.” Romans 12:13
10. Reverence – A feeling of profound awe and respect and often love for GOD. Bible verse: “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.” John 1:14 / “let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe” Hebrews 12:28.
11. Wisdom – the ability to judge correctly and to follow the best course of action, based on knowledge and understanding. Bible verse: “Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise” Proverbs 19:20 / “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” James 1:5
12. Justice – being guided by truth, reason, and fairness in all our actions. Bible verse: “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.” Matthew 5:38-39
13. Hope – a feeling of expectation or that events will turn out for the best. Bible verse: “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
14. Humility – the quality or condition of being humble – having a modest and not proud/arrogant view of oneself. Bible verse: “Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.” Ephesians 4:2
15. Creation – the act of producing or causing to exist & the original bringing into existence of the universe by GOD. Bible verse: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. ” John 1:1-3.
16. Fellowship / Koinonia – Christian fellowship or communion, with GOD and with fellow Christians. Bible verse: “Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.” 1 Thessalonians 5:11