At St Mary’s we strongly believe in providing students with the opportunity to contribute to the strategic and operational development of the school.
We value students’ opinions and strive to ensure that they are considered by leaders and governors in the work of the school and that students are provided with opportunities to lead events across the school.
Our SLI Body (Student Leadership and Independence) provides students with a platform to contribute to this work.
The aims of the SLI body at SMHS are to:
- Provide increased opportunities for student leadership within SMHS
- Promote a student culture based on self-responsibility and self-regulation
- Provide all students with a platform to contribute to the strategic development and day to day operation of the school
- Ensure an inclusive school environment for every student
- Develop student confidence and life skills
- Ensure a safe environment for all
- Develop positive relationships between all members of our community
SLI at St Mary’s compromises of:
Student Council: A body compromising of students from all year groups of the school that focuses on whole school issues
Year Council: Is made up of representatives from each year group that focuses on year specific issues
SLI Groups: When required, designated SLI groups are established to develop specific areas of work of the school – for instance, LGBT; school Behaviour For Learning
Your Voice: A platform for all students to raise any issues of concern
You Said…We Did
Recent contributions of the SLI Body to the development of the School include:
- Initiation of whole school LGBT review and implementation of staff training to raise understanding of the issues facing LGBT students
- Implementation of revised B4L structures
- Implementation of termly reward draw
- Opening of Upper Servery to reduce Dining Hall congestion at lunch times
- Review and implementation of increased menu options at break and lunch – including implementation of pasta pots as a snack option
- Increased outdoor seating capacity