Maths & ICT
The Maths and ICT Teaching and Learning Area aims to develop students’ abilities to solve problems and encourage them to reason logically and to make sense of both numerical and digital data.
These skills play an important part in developing student understanding across all areas of study, whilst also ensuring that they are equipped with the decision making abilities to support life beyond school and future employment.
As subjects in their own right, both Maths and ICT present frequent opportunities for student creativity. They can stimulate moments of pleasure and wonder; especially when problems are solved or when more elegant solutions to problems are discovered. They enable students to build secure frameworks to support their reasoning, which they can use and apply with confidence.
The Teaching and Learning Area aims to ensure that all students:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, are digitally literate
- Are able to reason logically and to solve problems by applying their understanding to a variety of problems
- Think and act as an independent learners
- Can identify patterns and understand the meaning behind these
- Approach problems systematically choosing appropriate techniques for their solution
- Communicate with a team; sharing and investigating problems
- Understand the mathematical and digital connections to everyday life