On 25th April a service was attended by the whole of Year 7, at St Mary the Virgin Church, for the Founder’s Day Service.
In 1640 Robert Dewhurst founded his free school for boys at Churchgate, Cheshunt. He handed over its management to trustees in 1642, three years before his death in 1645. Twelve trustees were appointed. The Trust deed specified the school to “remain forever for the benefit of poor children of the parish for the teaching of them there to read English, so that they may know God the better, and also to write and cast accounts so that they may be better able to be apprenticed to some honest trade or mystery.” St Mary’s CE High School is part of the Dewhurst Trust, and each year we attend a service of ‘thanks’ to our historical benefactors.